What you should know about the PTA
Most of you know that PTA stands for Parent Teacher Association, but do you know what that means? The PTA is a non-profit organization that was formed in 1897 to be a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Today’s PTA is a network of millions of families, teachers, administrators, and community leaders around the nation devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of family engagement in schools. Here are just a few of the successes that National PTA has advocated for:
- Child labor laws
- Creation of Kindergarten classes
- Public health service
- Mandatory Immunizations
- Hot and healthy lunch programs
- School Safety
- Juvenile justice system
- Arts in Education
This year the goal of the Huntersville PTA is for EVERY family to be represented. We feel that the annual $6 PTA membership fee brings essential services to our children and our school. Here are a few of the programs that are supported through our PTA:
- · School-wide communication via e-notes, PTA website, newsletters, and connect education phone calls.
- · Student success is celebrated through Buddy Celebrations and Recognition Ceremonies.
- · Family Involvement functions such as Buddy’s Breakfast, Fall Festival and Picnic and Popsicles.
- · Health and Wellness Activities through Run TOO Overcome and Fun Walk
- · Spirit Wear, Art By Me, Book Fairs, and Holiday Shop
- · Teacher Appreciation events and classroom help through designated room parents
These are just a few of the areas supported and implemented through the HES PTA. Being a PTA Member does not mean that you are signing up to volunteer or “run” any event, but it does take a village to support these successful programs! Just by joining you are participating in the success of your student at Huntersville Elementary.
This year all students have been asked to participate in our Back to School bundle program costing $15. This one time cost will include: 1 agenda, 1 PTA membership, and 1 of the new HES Buddy magnets. One student = one $15 fee. Families that were unable to attend Meet the Teacher Night and purchase their bundle may make purchases during the first week of school at the Welcome Desk. Check or cash is appreciated.
We look forward to making the 2014-15 school year the BEST YEAR YET!
Debra Cassidy ~ VP of Membership
PTA Membership has its benefits! Look at what your membership card can give you.
- · Hertz – 20% off rentals with PTA membership
- · Schwan’s – Special discounts on Schwan’s purchases
- · Staples – Special discounts with PTA membership and free shipping on on-line orders
- · Sylvan – 50% off assessments
- · Metlife Auto & Home – Special features and benefits offered to PTA members
- · AARP – Special programs offered to PTA members
To find out more go to: http://www.pta.org/members/content.cfm?ItemNumber=3409
Advertising helps supplement this free website by DigitalPTO.com | Disable Ads Here